Coming from a small town, moving to Beijing and being able to get around seemed very daunting to me. Luckily it wasn’t bad at all! Here are the 5 reasons why it’s great.
1. Ability to get anywhere. As you can see in the picture below there is a lot to see in Beijing but everything is spread out. Luckily the subway station can get you just about anywhere in Beijing and even on the outskirts of the city which is amazing.
2. Bussing around. Luckily we live not too far away from a bus stop which can get you to and from work. The buses come about every 8-15 minutes depending on what time it is. You can always hop on the bus to local markets or to the subway as well which is great.
3. Maps. So how will you know how to get to places, well just like you do at home most likely, type it into your app whether its apple maps or another type. This is what I do all the time! When I wanted to go to the Summer Palace, I typed it in and it let me know what bus to go on and what subway stops I needed to get onto and off at. Truly as simple as that.
4. Costs. If you’re like me then you are probably wondering what all this will cost you and let me tell you it’s not going to cost you much at all! It’s extremely cheap to go anywhere using the public transport. Whether its down the block or on the other side of the city. To get to work it cost 2 yuan for me, if I want to get to the city center 6 yuan. Which equates to less than 1 us dollar, amazing!
5. Getting lost. Now if you are anything like me you will most likely get lost. I’ve found that sometimes I forget to get off at the right spot but luckily you just get off the subway or bus cross over to the other side hop on to opposite direction and go back to your destination. You also have the other option to just explore a new part of the city that you hadn’t planned on visiting.
It can be scary moving to a new city where you don’t know the language but just know that luckily signs are still in English characters so you got that on your side. It’ll take time to familiarize yourself with it all but luckily the transportation system is easy to adapt to.
Hope you have a great adventure and always be kind to one another.